Saturday, June 28, 2014

We Interrupt your Grief...with Life

Where am I? What day is it?  What time is it?

Yea, it’s been like that for the last couple of weeks.  There are all these things going on that I should be having meltdowns over this, but we interrupt the meltdown to give you day to day life.

In the last couple of weeks, I travelled to Europe for business, remembered Joshua’s 16th birthday, walked beside my best friend during one of the hardest times of her life, planned my high school reunion via email, planned Stephi’s grad party via email, and made arrangements for her graduation via email.

It all started when I had the opportunity to go to Europe for work.  Ten glorious days of discovering parts of the “Old Country” I’d never seen, revisiting some places that are part of my fabric and heart.  I knew the trip would be challenging since it was so close to Stephi’s graduation, but I knew we could handle it.  What I wasn’t so sure about, was the fact that Joshua’s 16th birthday was smack dab in the middle of the trip.  That fact made this grown woman’s heart shiver.  I wondered if I could handle it?


How cute is this baby Joshua?!
The trip went well, even when three of the four wheels of my suitcase blew out leaving me dragging 45 pounds of stuff along Hyde Park.  Then the texts began; My sister of another mother, was facing the loss of her beloved Professor Hottie! 

Three years ago, when Matt shared the recent diagnosis of Chronic Lymphoma, I started to panic, but he assured me all was well.  Two years later, his chronic condition morphed into Acute Leukemia.  There were moments of fear we would lose him, but he rallied into remission for several months, and was back in our home feeding us Cincy Chili, a favorite, and loving us as he always did. 

Fast forward 6 weeks and I received texts that 'nothing more could be done' and Matt was going home to his beloved tree house to be cared for with hospice and those who love him dearly.  This is where it became nearly impossible to concentrate on my job, and all I wanted to do was jump on that plane to get home.

Then it was Joshua’s 16th birthday.  Thankfully, it fell on a Sunday!  To celebrate his birthday, we now ride roller coasters, and yet there was no roller coaster to be found, so I grabbed the closest ride I could find, the London Eye, and thought of my sweet ornery one.  In the quiet of my hotel room later that day, tears fell gently down my cheek.
Two nights later, I was awakened from a deep sleep when the dreaded sound of texts began.  I knew …….  Professor Hottie was released from his earthly body into the arms of his heavenly family.

Matt, we will miss you dearly!!!
Our tears are never for those we lose, but for us since we know how much we’ll miss them.

I came home from my business trip overwhelmed with life, and fell into the arms of my lovely Stephi waiting for me at the airport. 

Two days later, my mountain man woke me up at 4am, for our roadtrip to Ohio to remember Professor Hottie.  The moment I walked into the room and our eyes met, Pink and I burst into tears.

How could God do this to my friend? 

After a lovely Memorial, we were back on the road to Virginia, stopped in at our first graduation party, and then collapsed into bed.  At sunrise, we were up getting ready for Stephanie’s graduation party.
Oh crap, Mom, Dad & Britt will be here in three days.  Gotta clean, run to the grocery, plan some meals, wrap those Father’s Day gifts…..oh yea, there’s that interview tomorrow morning to prepare for.

Oh yea, the Cupcake Fairy needs to show up at Joshua’s school in three days.  His teacher is moving on, how do we continue a tradition?

Stop this ride, I wanna get OFF!

Breathe in, breathe out, pray hard!

Three days later……IT ALL WORKED OUT BEAUTIFULLY!

Sweet Stephi!  So Proud!
Stephanie walked proudly across stage to accept her diploma as tears streamed down my face. She makes me so proud.

My parents and Britt filled our house for the celebration and new memories made.  The cupcakes were delivered with hugs, and Britt’s former sixth grade teacher wants to help us keep up Joshua’s tradition.

Josh has never been far from my mind.  I went to that place… “Where would my life be if I had three more years of high school before empty nesthood?” There has been no meltdown, but rather quick spurts of tears .
I can feel it, New Normal chapter three has arrived…..

As Matt would quote from "The Princess Bride,"  "Have fun stormin' the castle!" 


Hugs!

Sherri



 

1 comment: