Sunday, February 26, 2012

Inked Love

Today I am sitting here with some new ink on my skin.  This is such a surprise to me since I never thought I would get a tattoo.  I was raised in a conservative household with no alcohol, no smoking, no bad language, and certainly no tattoos. 

As I have grown up and experienced life, I have loosened up on my pre-conceived notions in so many ways.  I'm a much more open person than the one of 20 years ago.  I am less judgemental, but more appreciative.  I realize I know less today than I thought I knew 20 years ago.  I discovered the depth of my empathy and understanding after I lost Joshua to epilepsy last year, as well as discovered that I can survive the worst loss in life...the loss of my child.

Soon after losing Josh, I started noticing so many tiny details that I had missed before, and I suddenly had a yearning for a tattoo.  Hmmmm, where did that come from?

I wear a "Joshua's Smile" wrist band to remember him, and raise awareness of epilepsy.  While great little bracelets, they eventually break,  and I really want something that will be with me all the time. 
This was not spontaneous....I sat on this idea for over a year and during that time I have noticed how many people wear "memorial ink" on them to remember someone they loved.  It has opened up many conversations with people I likely would  have avoided or given plenty of space.  The toughest, wariest-looking person instantly turns softer as they share their story and see you are truly listening to them.  They share such touching stories of loved ones lost, and listening to them has been cathartic to me over the last 15 months.

As for my tattoo, I put it prominently on my wrist and designed it to look like jewelry.  I call it my memorial bracelet.

My girls cannot believe I did this.  46 years old and getting a tattoo!  One of my girls wonders what it will look like when I am 80.  I won't really care because I'll be happy to have reached 80....the fact that I have just admitted being happy is in itself a step in this acceptance of my new normal and it is realized because of some ink on my wrist.....


This ink on my wrist represents loss, it represents memory, respect towards Joshua, and my desire to do things that will make him proud at our pearly gate reunion...I mean afterall, people may not know my name, but they'll know Joshua's so I had better be doing something good when they see his name.

Someone recently said that you may not know God's plan for you, but you will know it when you reach it, and I have to say that the moment I put my son's memory to permanent ink, there was peace. 

One chapter down, what will the next one hold?

Hugs to you!
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment