Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Out of the Mouth of Babes


It’s Thanksgiving week.  Ugh,  Joshua was buried the day before Thanksgiving 2010, so this holiday is crazy hard on us.  I hate not having him here, having his chair empty. 
Enjoying Thanksgiving Lunch with Josh at school - 2009
 
The 5K in his memory is right after Thanksgiving so the house is filling with family  coming for both the holiday and the 5K;    Britt is currently in the air on her way home from Oklahoma and Stephi is determined to pick her up at midnight and then go to school the next morning. 

On my way home from work today, I stopped at Target for a few last minute 5K items and thought it would be fun to walk through the toy section to see “what’s in”.  So many shiny things.....I was suddenly inspired to find a puzzle for the fam to work on this Christmas Season. 

While looking over the puzzles, I noticed a cart of two excited toddlers coming in my direction.  Their mom was looking for a birthday present as they exclaimed “WANt’DAT”  ”Mommy, I Want DIS ONE”…..  Their mom patiently kept reminding them they were looking for a present for someone else.

Soon they were next to me when another young voice called out  Can you get your kids to be Quiet?”
 
A second young mom with a horrified look on her face was standing next to a cute little boy intently studying Legos.  I was laughing out loud. 
 
Mom #1 looked at me, smiled and turned to the little Lego guy and asked, “I would love to make them quiet, but I’m not having much luck.  What do you think I should do?”

Little Lego guy quickly responded with the most serious expression on his face, “Well, you could buy them something they want.  That’s what my mom does!”

We three moms were in tears from laughter!!!!  I looked at cute cart toddler and said to him “You paid him (Lego boy) to say that so you could get a toy, didn’t you?

His response…”Yes!!!!

I took my puzzle and said to the moms “Enjoy them, because before long they will be in college and yelling for things like cars and furniture.” 

I was smiling all the way out to the car thinking….”Out of the mouth of babes…”

This is a really hard time of year for me, but these 3 little children were like candles in the darkness.  I wanted to pick them all up and just swarm them with hugs!

 
It reminded me of when Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children." Matthew 19:14  (NIH)

Hug your Babies no matter how many candles on their birthday cake.

 May you all have a Blessed Thanksgiving!
 
Hugs!
Sherri

2 comments:

  1. This story made you laugh, and it made me smile, then brought tears to my eyes. Love that you had that sweet heaven-sent moment of comfort. I know this weekend and the coming month will be full of deep longing and wistfulness and memories and missing and grief. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen. I know you understand only too well how precious those moments of happiness are.

    ReplyDelete