Saturday, November 15, 2014

Glorious Reunion

Saturday night I was out waiting for a friend, when  “Baby Girl” rang from my cellphone.  when I hear that ring it means......STEPHI!!!!!   Oh, how I have been missing her and her sister. I made sure to tell her that before we ended our conversation.

After a short visit with my friend, I ran through the drive thru for some dinner and turned onto my street.  There on the street I noticed that familiar baby blue Mazda in front of the house.  MY BABY IS HOME!!!!  The little stinker was  not six hours away at college while we were talking;  she  was sitting in my comfy spot at home eating my pizza all the while she was listening to me whine about how much I missed her.  I gave her a big silly grin hug, and chilled with her until bedtime.

Sunday morning, I checked on Stephi and found her sleeping so peacefully, then I watched church via the Internet.  I  couldn’t get my feet to walk me into the sanctuary that morning; sometimes it isn't the place of worship I love;  sometimes it is the place where I sat and stared at my son’s casket. 
As I watched the service, the sanctuary exploded with joyful applause as they witnessed one family's joyful reunion after a four year separation.  The father, Nick, was a self-professed Christian in a predominantly Muslim country, who religious belief forced him to flee the country to save his life.  Sadly, his family was unable to join him immediately.  I’m sure no one realized at that time it would be four years before they would be reunited.

Four years apart!  That hit me square between the eyes!   We have been separated from Josh for four years!!!  I couldn’t take my eyes off this family before me on the tv.  I was so drawn to the smiles on their faces;  I was so thrilled for them; so envious of their joy!
Our 4 -year mark is very different from theirs.  We are hurting to the very core!  The number of heart-wrenching  phone calls has jumped, Stephi needed to drive 6 hours to go to the cemetery to see her brother, and come home to us,   Brad has that hollowed look in his eyes, and I am all over the place trying to hold it together.

As I listened on to the service, I could feel the sermon speaking to me.  Our pastor  talked about how God may not  change my circumstances, which I am grappling with, but he changes ME in my circumstances .
Hmmmm, guess I’ll have to sit on that one for awhile but as I do that I will celebrate my  23rd wedding anniversary,  welcome my girls back into my arms for Thanksgiving, remember by ornery sweet boy, and give hugs to this year's Josh Newman Memorial 5K for SUDEP awareness runners/walkers. 

There's no way to avoid all the emotions of this time of year.   It will be heavy on the Laughter, and heavy on the Tears.

If you and yours are around Virginia on November 29th, feel free to come walk with us.
http://www.events.org/newman5k/cpage.aspx?e=78755


HUGS,
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment