Sunday, October 19, 2014

Drinking Naked


Brad and I are trying to approach this Premature Empty Nesting with an open mind.  Last Spring I took golf lessons so I could join him on the golf course.  So far, we have been hitting some of the local PAR 3 “easy” courses as I learn the game.  Our approaches are very different, but it works for us.  Brad is very strategic with his range distant tools and relies on the perfect club, with the perfect form.  Me?  I usually go like this…. driver, 7, 9, chipper, putter.  Distance is not a factor.  If I change it up, it's because I get bored using the same ones over and over again.  A Par 3 means you are supposed to hit the ball into the hole in 3 hits, so I’m averaging 7 hits per hole and I'm ok with that.  Now, where’s the beer boy?  Maybe that will help my game.

My promising golf career was temporarily sidelined two weeks ago after  I did my usual awesome and powerful swing directly into the hard ground.   The golf club bent back, and so did my thumb.  When I  heard a “crack” and felt instant pain, I knew I was in trouble.  I whined for the last three holes, and Brad did his best to distract me with his offers to stomp on my foot to help take my mind off my thumb.  Thanks honey!

 There have been some good things brought about from my injury.  It has definitely given me the respect of  the “good ole boys club” at work.  “Could you open this water bottle for me?  I have a golf injury”  as I point to my thumb.  “Could you please repeat? I can’t write very well because of my golf injury”.  Dang, and all this time, I thought it took short skirts and high shoes to get their attention.  Ladies, we have it all wrong.  Who knew?!

Golf is out for now, but the weather is still awesome so Brad and I  had to find something else to do while my golf injury heals. 

We live less than an hour away from the Shenandoah Valley, so when Brad came up with the suggestion of heading out to the infamous Skyline Drive to see the fall color, I was jumping in that passenger seat.  The day showed great promise until we discovered 5 miles of cars filled with folks also waiting to get on Skyline.  It quickly became apparent Brad was losing his patience, and looking for other options. 

What to do?   Oh genie in the phone, please help me!  My wonderful smart phone suggested we Drink Naked! I made the suggestion to Brad, and he couldn’t turn the car around fast enough.  A few moments down a beautiful country windy road lined with beautiful yellow and reds, and we turned into Naked Mountain Winery.

 

 

At first, we noticed all the young people, young groups, couples, families, then as neared the tasting bar, we noticed  the couples like us.  Couples making memories now that the kiddos are out of the house.  We probably looked just as normal to them as they did to us, but I can tell you, we are not liking this next chapter at all.  In fact, I’d say we have regressed in our grief of losing Josh, and now both girls are on their own.  We just suck it up, and try to make the best of it. 

After Drinking Naked, we walked back to the car hand and hand, and took the long picturesque way home winding through the plantations, horse farms and majestic color. The colors were magical.   This journey has  shown  me  that life isn’t easy, and to make it through, you need to remain open minded and see how life unfolds.  You may have a plan, but it may be Plan B that takes over.

As if on cue, Stephi texted and wanted to know what we did all day.  My response? “We drank naked today”.   My daughter knows humor is how I cope, and I’m sure her eyes were rolling, but it made her smile, and hearing from her made me smile too!

 Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.  ~Unknown

 May you find beauty in every challenge!

Hugs!
Sherri

 

2 comments: