Sunday, August 31, 2014

Empty Nestin'

I'm sitting here enjoying a muffin before heading out for some surf and sun in South Carolina.  Brad is off with his white dimpled mistress and will join me for lunch. 

Both daughters are settling into their college lives.  Britt was already moved in, so we stuffed two cars and dropped Stephi off in North Carolina.  The move-in went seamlessly....we somehow managed to avoid getting hit by all the couches, 54” tvs, and furniture.  Holy Moly, I didn’t even have a tv in my dorm room, and we hiked through 3 feet of snow each way to use the shared hallway telephone.  I have dorm envy!!! 

Stephi’s room looks great with the tiny tv and her beloved 1D/5 SOS decorum.  Two seconds after it was set up, she was pushing us out the door.  Brad wasn’t quite ready, but I felt pretty confident that she would be begging us to feed her in a day or two.   The next day I received this text :  PLEASE TAKE ME AWAY TO DINNER!!!!  Happy to Oblige!

After feeding her, on our dime, and setting up the all important DVD player, it was time for that long awaited no kids vacation! Wooohooo!  We’ve been dreaming of this day since the first time we stuffed luggage, beach toys, lotion, and diapers into the car. 

Turns out it’s not as easy to shut off the parent brain as we thought.  Even though Brad and I always worked to keep the romance alive during the kiddo years, it feels sooooo weird!

For so long, vacation has been kid-centered ; always thinking a step ahead of the kiddos.    Now I’m free to do my thing, but I just can’t shut down those mommy voices in my head. I fought the lurch forward reflex when the adorable toddler put that shell in her mouth…her mom was on it! That sweet child needs a hat!  I was so proud of that sweet girl who tried and tried, and finally mastered riding the waves.

Will it ever go away? 

My mountain man and I have lots of couple time now, but we know each other so well, we can’t fake it!  Dang!  I know he hates the beach; He knows I love it.  How can I enjoy a day at the beach when I’m worrying about how much Brad hates the beach?

I’m thinkin maybe those little white lies we told when the relationship was new weren’t so bad. 

We look lovingly into one another's eyes and say....

“What do you want to do?” 

“Dunno, what do you want to do?”

“I dunno, hey, we could go to a jazz bar for 21 and over”  I can see the light go on when  he realizes “yes, we can do that” .

So here are a few highlights we shared with our friends and family.....




When wildlife and humans unsuccessfully share playground. = jellyfish sting



Facebook status, day 2:  Pretty proud of myself. Its 1030 and im still awake. I doubt it has anything to do with that nap this afternoon. Yep, kids are out of the house and im a party girl. Sweet dreams all!

 


Hi Girls, guess where we are?
Brittany response- ballpark...btw rockin' the nail polish!
Stephi response:  Oh Mother! lol!




 
My poor attempt at a selfie.....how do you work this thing? Click!

 
And this was just week 1......
until next time.



HUGS!
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment