Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Memory Keeping

I am a huge scrapbooker!  In fact, I enjoy it so much,  I went away for an entire weekend to a scrapbooking retreat resting only for a few short hours at night. 

My very first scrapbook was a notebook where I taped all the Donny Osmond articles, and my ticket stubs from his concert.  No laughing please....the man still looks good and he's a grandad! Ok, maybe I should have left that last fact out.  Anyways, those were some great days!

This memory album habit continued right up to now.  I loved it when I shared the adventures  of life, which gradually included the tall mountain man, our wedding and one by one, three Newmanettes.

When Josh was about a year old, I became a Creative Memories "Memory Album" Consultant. to support my habit, save my sanity and supplement our income while the kiddos were so little.  It was great.... I would play with the Newmanettes all day long, throw their crabby, tired young selves at their father at dinner time, and go off to show other women (and a few men) how to preserve their photos and bring out their creative juices, sometimes with the aid of "grownup" juice.

Another benefit to this passion are the gobs of family and children albums that fill our house.   There were times they could be a slight hazard when I would trip over one or more spread out across the floor by a small boy who loved to look at his photos.

Then came the day that changed my life forever.  Joshua was just buried and I came home to a full house of loved ones showing their support.  I walked into our  living room and was quickly moved to tears as I saw friends and family thumbing through Joshua's albums enjoying the memories of his life.  I can't really explain the feeling other than I felt I had done something right during a time when I was questioning myself so much.

A few months later, the photo albums took on healing powers when we included photos of so many of those we love walking for epilepsy in Joshua's memory. 

I recently noticed a new habit I have developed in the memories corner while designing our annual Valentine. I always include photos of the kids and our family, but it just didn't seem the same without Joshua, so I found the perfect photo thanks to several of the girls' friends....  It's a photo sharing tribute to Joshua.  You'll see it later.

Joshua's friends scratched this out near the end of our first epilepsy walk.  Big Hug in gravel!

It was the latest of  tribute photos.  It joined the photo taken at the epilepsy walk photo of Joshua's name scratched out by his friends in the gravel.  Then I found the photo of the teddy bear made from his Hershey Park shirt to go with our visit to Hershey Park to ride Roller Coasters for Joshua's birthday  last June.

Your past is your future and I still want to include Joshua even though he is no longer here with us.   I guess it's a creative side to my grieving, but it works.  I can see it now.  Instead of Flat Stanleys all over the world, people can send me photos of "Joshua" memories when he is in their hearts...oh wait we have some of those.
Our friend Maria sent this photo with her Joshua's Smile cap during her trip to Paris..Love it!!
 
I hear the stories of other bereaved families who are actually criticized for talking about their children.  We have not found that with our friends and family.  So many great stories, so many ways to remember our sweet ornery one. His impact on those around him didn't end on the day he died, so why should the happy memories?

We are surrounded by buildings, parks, and statues dedicated to the memory of loved ones who have made a contribution.  Those are great, and I imagine they help their remaining loved ones feel such a pride that they are remembered.

Here's the photo for our Valentine this year.

The girls' choral group came to show their support at the Joshua Newman 5K.

For me, the monument to Joshua's legacy is captured in photos and they have become absolutely priceless!

Do something for me.....take lots of photos, and make sure you're in them too!

Hugs!
Sherri



No comments:

Post a Comment