Sunday, February 17, 2013

Broken Valentine - When Everyone Prays

November 20, 2010, is the worst day of my life.  It is the day I went to awaken Josh to help me paint our fence and found he had passed away as a result of SUDEP.  Hours later when they came to take him from our home, my natural response was to crumple to the ground in complete despair.  At that moment, a gentle and familiar voice took me by the arms and brought me into her embrace.  I looked up to see the lovely face of my dear friend Nancy. 

Nancy quickly snapped into action to organize the wonderful friends who came to help us prepare for Joshua's farewell.  Every night near bedtime, I would go to her since she refused to leave us, and send her home to her family with heartfelt thanks for her help, and more importantly for her friendship of 24 years. 

This past Monday morning, I felt the need to take the day off from work and even more unexplainable, the next day as well.  Later that afternoon, I received a frantic call from Nancy that her sweet boy was en route to our local hospital and would I come as soon as possible?  I ran to get dressed, grabbed Brad and Stephi and we rushed to their side.

Monday soon turned into a 24 hour vigil as we prayed for her sweet boy laying in the ICU as a result of attempted suicide.  Word spread quickly of what had happened and that we were facing terrible odds. 

Many of my friends who came to know and love Nancy during our time of loss, asked what they could do? Christian, non christian, agnostic, it didn't matter.  At one point another sweet friend of mine, a self proclaimed agnostic, asked what she could do and all I could respond was "pray your heathen butt off".   As a sidebar, she responded "Only for you".

There is something about a tragic moment that brings even those most distant from Christ so quickly back to him.  Prayers for a miracle were prayed across 10 states as prayer warriors lifted their voices in hope.

On the fourth day....the day of tests of life, I couldn't take all the waiting around,  the crowds of supporters and had to go home to be with Brad and Stephi.  I paced the floor awaiting the news we knew was coming.

Just before 10 pm I received the following text "Sadness". 

 
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

Now, I find the tables turned.  I am the one embracing the mother of the child who has died.   I am the one who can relate to this terrible time like no other in our lives, and try to bring comfort to one who will not feel comfort in these early days.

If I didn't understand why my Josh died, I am even more perplexed why my life and those I love so dearly are once again touched by tragedy.

Tuesday, we will remember this sweet life, and I will be there to offer my love and support. 

Wednesday, most friends and family will return to their lives.  I will not!

Please keep Nancy and her family in your prayers.

Heartbroken Hugs!
Sherri

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I am so very sorry, Sherri! This is just hearbreaking. I am so glad you can be there for Nancy and family. Please know WE are here for you.

    ReplyDelete