Monday, May 7, 2012

My name is Jesus but you can call me Jess, how can I help you?

What a crazy day but I mean that in the best way possible.  It started off at church where Stephi and I were Greeters assigned to the kid's door next to the adventurous playground.   Then it was up to the lobby area to meet Brad and Britt.  We still haven't been able to venture into the sanctuary much after Joshua's funeral.  It's a struggle for each of us in a different way, so for now we sit as a family in the comfy lobby and watch the sermon on the screen as giggling toddlers and 'stroller escapees' run around us. 

We decided to go for lunch but since we had two cars that morning we split up into two teams and headed over.  My car was driven by Stephi whose vigilance to the speed limit and stop signs has been known to drive me to drink, and 10 mins after the others we arrived at our destination met with scowls.  Apparently, they had tried to call my cell phone but alas it was off.....again!   Somehow the fact that I have a phone with a mind of its' own is my fault. 


Tired of dealing with the cottin pickin phone that has "issues," I dared Brad to buy me a new phone.  Now it is no secret that I am the world's worst cell phone user.  All I want are buttons to dial.  I recently upgraded and joined the texting world so I now need buttons to text and that's it.  I was able to quickly found a phone I liked because it's red!  A very good selling feature.  While it's not a smart phone and doesn't have a data plan, it does slide!  Fancy stuff!






An hour later we walked out with my new red phone and headed back to the house where I grabbed the girls and was off to do girlie things. Once we girls returned home, I needed to grab a nap.  I have been pretty exhausted for about a week now but I don't really make much of it as this isn't anything new since grief already wears me out. Of course, I haven't slept well either since Stephi shared her cold with me so this was a no win situation.
Where would I be without my two lovies?
The  strange  thing about grief is you never know what to be concerned about and what is 'just' grief, because grief is pretty devastating to your body as well as your mind.  It breaks your heart, sends your head into a tailspin, tears up your stomach and just makes everything hurt...so you lose your ability to know what's real trouble.


When I woke up wheezing and hacking, I heard a little voice in my head telling me it was time to visit my friendly neighborhood Urgent Care.  Downstairs I trotted to tell the girls of my plans realizing all the more that I had the right idea when Brittany took one look at me, grabbed the car keys and insisted on driving me.  There were those moments on the highway when it felt like we could win Nascar, until I assured her I was doing ok and preferred to get there without a ticket and in one piece.

Danika may have some competition in Nascar.

Once we arrived I signed in and was greeted by Jesus.  Not just any Jesus, but Jesus of the Holy Cross.   I don't know about you but I couldn't keep my composure.  Many people might be a little concerned if Jesus meets them at the hospital, but I found him to be a hoot!  Jesus and I had a great time updating my records that had remained untouched since the 1990s before I was Mrs. Newman.  He had a great wit about him, a genuineness and I knew I was in good hands when he said are you a christian?  I am too.  I blessed his parents for giving such a kind gentleman such a strong name.


I was taken back for vitals and the usual barrage of questions.  Now of course when they ask the question of " have you been under any great stress or receiving counseling" it is a struggle to not give a snotty response such as "really, you have to ask, doesn't it show?"  because they truly don't know.  I look them in the eye and respond, "I'm bereaved."  In the medical profession, that declaration in itself changes the whole diagnosis process as it is a known fact that those grieving are usually sicker, develop both chronic and life threatening illnesses quickly after their loss, and suffer from lower resistance to illness as their bodies are just worn out. 


Notes were written and off I was sent for examination, xrays and a breathing treatment.   The last time I had to have a breathing treatment was the morning of Joshua's calling hours.  This was not a good trigger to dwell on so I looked for any distraction possible which came along.


I was trying to concentrate on what I was supposed to do which was breathing in and out, but I still managed to hear the sound medical advice given to the collegiate on the other side of the curtain who while visiting his girlfriend and her family tested positive for mono.   How do you explain that one?  It gets better.....I soon realized from the questions being asked that this same collegiate was flying out of town on a public commuter plane. His medical advice in response to his question if he could fly with this newly discovered mono? "Don't sneeze on or kiss anyone and everyone will be fine". Flyers beware!


Brad was soon texting me on my new red phone wanting updates and sharing this very romantic gesture...."I'll stay awake until you get home".  He was even willing to come relieve Britt but to be honest, Britt handles late nights much better than Brad.  Britt for her part kept entertained by organizing my red phone during our wait and trying to keep her laugh to a minimum as I began to shake and shiver during my breathing treatment.  I wasn't offended because I'm sure Momma on steroids is quite a sight to behold.


Day trip with Josh sporting a snazzy green cast.
During our quality time in the 6x6 room we shared, we began to reminisce over those special memories a mother treasures.....hospital visits.  Who could forget taking Britt into the ER when she had a reaction to a simple surgery?  Or that visit just 3 days later with Josh after his failed attempt to jump our fence resulted in a broken wrist?  Not great things we went through but they were ours and after the fact it's nice to talk about the memories and have a good laugh together albeit mine had that raspy hacky feel to it.  It's nice to talk about Josh anytime and not shed tears.

Three hours later, after xrays and breathing treatments, I was sent home with a diagnosis of bronchitis and ordered to remain at home and rest for two days.  Great!  They send the kid with mono on a airplane to some exotic location but the mom with bronchitis has to stay at home and do nothing!  hmmmm that shows promise.

Here's a happier trigger....my ornery one watching his beloved colts play the redskins.




Hugs,
Sherri

No comments:

Post a Comment