Friday, December 9, 2011

An Evening in December

A few years ago as I gradually worked my way back into the workforce from full time mom, I had the opportunity to work for a Christian women's speaker we will call "my friend" who was able to share the word of our Lord using her great sense of humor. 

I was her ministry assistant which usually enabled me great flexibility and the ability to work from home when the kids were in school, but occasionally required me to bring Joshua to her home since he was only in school part time for preschool and later kindergarten.

My friend has a beautiful home that she likes to keep tidy so when Joshua first started coming with me, I was nervous he would mess things up, hurt their sweet tiny dog, or worse yet break something special.  My friend would hear none of it...when I would warn Josh, she would give him a big hug and tell him to have fun.  When I told him to leave her dog alone, she said nonsense.  It was obvious pretty early on that Josh had won my friend's heart and time after time, she would spoil my little son.

The time came for me to resign as we were moving overseas, and my friend came by the house to say goodbye to all of us.  There were tears in both our eyes as we said our goodbyes, and I remember watching and laughing as she gave a long hug to a squirming Josh.

Shortly after our return to the US, I ran into her at the post office where we did the post office line catch up and then were on our way with the promise to meet up and catch up for real when life settled down a bit.

A few weeks after our chance meeting when I found myself in the darkest moments of my life facing the death of my son, all I could think about was how I needed to talk with  my friend.  I knew she was likely travelling and unreachable so I left her a message.  Miraculously, within two hours she was at  our door eyes full of tears all the while speaking with us about love, loss and faith in a way that was exactly what I needed to hear at such a devastating time.  At the end of her visit as we gathered around the kitchen holding hands she prayed this prayer "Lord, help us to forgive those who say silly things, may we realize what is in their hearts and not what comes from their mouths".  This prayer has carried me through some very awkward moments and spoke to me many times in the last year.

Three weeks after Joshua's death I felt the need to attend my friend's annual Christmas Celebration for Women, and take some girlfriends with me.  As she began her message, she read a note from her friend Sherri...I stopped breathing for a few seconds...as she spoke sharing the words I offered to that even in the darkness we must seek JOY, she had to stop for a few moments before she could continue to share my story as a mother who lost her son under very sad circumstances before a crowd of 800 ladies.   At this point, I was reduced to loud sobs..there was no hiding the bittersweet moment.  That moment when someone talks about your loss without fear, who admits in public the pain and how we must take it day by day, sometimes breath by breath.

She then went on to share the story of a mother by the name of Mary who also faced the loss of her Son, and all the while she was Fearless, Flexible and Faithful.  The whole experience moved the entire crowd and noone was spared  of needing a tissue to dab their tears.

My friend has kept tabs on me throughout this past year which is incredible to me given her heavy travel schedule, and when I went to this year's Christmas evening, I was touched when she made mention of Joshua again.  As an honored surprise, her friend, Kathy, shared with us a song she wrote and recorded recently that was partially inspired by "those we have lost, including one sweet little boy we lost last Thanksgiving".

As she sang "Missing You This Christmas" which she dedicated to our brave men and women in the armed services, I cried a river.  It was so beautiful.

I am always amazed at the impact my ornery one continues to have on so many people, and how lucky I am to be his mom.  It is truly a gift to remember this evening in December.

Here is the song...May it bless you this Christmas Season!
Hugs!
Sherri

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kxZbDE9Rk

No comments:

Post a Comment