Monday, March 31, 2014

SUDEP Acknowledged....Finally!


It’s a rainy Saturday and Brad is yelling at the television again.  He is out to get that darn weatherman who is cursing his planned golf game tomorrow.  Not a good idea to watch the news with their 15 minute weather updates; just adds fuel to his burning fire.
 
Luckily for us, last weekend was much better;   Perfect weather for the National Epilepsy Walk on The Mall.  In years past, we’ve awakened to snow on the ground and had to dress in layers.  This year, the team was perky and warm, just like the day.



When Stephi finds Joshua's picture
Brad, Stephi and I went a bit early so we could walk around the vendor village to see what is out there in the world of epilepsy and seizures.

It was also the chance to see history in the making;  
Acknowledgement of  SUDEP.  

The Danny Did Organization worked with the National Epilepsy Foundation to create the Remembrance Wall;  The wall had a photo of sweet Josh and many others lost to SUDEP.  I knew it was gonna be there, but it still took my breath away to see my son on a national wall of remembrance.

Those are the moments when you have to remind yourself to just breathe!!

My sweet sweet boy!


It’s hard to believe this was our fourth walk.  We had planned to walk it WITH Josh, not in memory of.... Thankfully, it does help my heart to know Joshua's Smile has raised over $45,000 for epilepsy research, and to provide EMFIT monitors to several families in need.    It’s a journey I never suspected  when I accepted my mountain man’s proposal 23 years ago.  Still, I’m happy to make a difference, and feel that Josh would approve.



The difference between a helping hand and an outstretched palm is a twist of the wrist.  ~Laurence Leamer, King of the Night

HUGS!
Sherri

















2 comments:

  1. Hugs right back at you! I am so impressed by the impact your family is having!

    ReplyDelete