Sunday, December 23, 2012

Nagging Traditions

It's quiet.  The house is asleep and I have some time to myself.

The tree is trimmed, gifts wrapped under the tree and cookies decorated.  From the street we look like a normal family enjoying a normal Christmas........and the Emmy goes to...the Newman Family for the nonfiction portrayal of  "A Normal Christmas".

Oh how I miss Joshua ....this time of year just yanks my heart apart again.  Joshua was our tradition man. 


Joshua and Santa - 2008
He was our energy, our passion, and yes....our nag, around the Christmas season.  He made sure all was done in time for a great Christmas.  Mom, we NEEEEEDDDD to get the tree up and decorated.  Mom we NEEEEDDD to go shopping for Christmas, Britt wants...., Stephanie wants......, Mom we NEEEEDDD to make cookies.

After about the 30th time, he wore me down enough to where the tree would go up, we loaded up the car for a shopping trip, and the grocery list included gobs of sugar and butter.

The Newmanettes - 2008

Move forward to 2012 which is our third Christmas without Josh.  All the shopping was done online to avoid crowds especially when every 5 ft stocky boy with short hair that walks by is my Joshie, or the tall one walking with his mom makes me wonder how tall Josh would be.   Ohhhh how I need some chocolate.

This year, we had to wait for Britt to come home from college to buy our tree from the Jones family who sets up shop on the street corner every Christmas season. 

After three days of standing untouched in the garage, Brad threatened to turn our Christmas tree into mulch if it wasn't up and decorated by night's end.  We three girls rolled our eyes, pulled out the stuff and up went the tree.  We even managed to place the angel on top without toppling the entire tree. 

When I suggested the girls bake the cutout cookies while I was at work, you would have thought I told them I hate puppies and kittens.  Oh my gosh...the drama!!!!! Sooo,  I put together the dough, let the girls fight over cookie cutter shapes, and decorate.  Don't tell anyone, but several of the cookies were a bit crunchy this year without Josh impatiently checking on them every 2 minutes.

These traditions don't seem to mean much to me this year.  That has been pretty much my attitude this whole season until I went through the house preparing for bed, and looked up to see the real reason for the season.  Sitting in a softly lit corner of my Dining Room is a small rendition of a stable which protects a baby in a manger. 

Joshua took this photo of our nativity in 2008. 

For a moment as I looked at it, I felt it... Peace

Wishing you a Merry Christmas as we celebrate a mother's joy at the birth of her Son.  And he shall be called Jesus!

Hugs!
Sherri



 

1 comment:

  1. Ah, pockets of peace. Thinking of you, friend, as you miss your Joshie. xoxo

    ReplyDelete