Monday, April 23, 2012

Graduation invitations in the rain

It is happening...our little girl is growing up and moving on without us there to hold her hand.  Britt's graduation is just weeks away and after a full week of Disney chaperoning,  and primping for prom night a week later we're sitting here on a very rainy day putting together her graduation announcements.

I think this occasion would be difficult for me even under normal circumstances as we girls are pretty close, and Britt has decided to move so far away. Someone recently asked me how I could let my baby go so far from me, and all I could say was as her mother, I want her to live her dreams and if that requires a move across country, who am I to stand in her way?  I know another special mother who showed the same kind of support 28 years ago and I love her for it even more as I am now in her shoes as the mom letting her baby go.

It will be especially difficult for our family because in our dream plan, Britt was supposed to go off first and leave two children behind to keep each other company, and then Stephi was supposed to go leaving one ornery boy to bask in the center of attention for 3 years before he ventured out into the big world.  Now, 16 months into our real life of new normal nothing is close to our dream plan other than Britt will surely leave us soon and we are not sure we will handle this new change very gracefully...that's ok...we will settle for breathing in and out.

Britt's ready, she's proven herself and it takes every ounce of my brain to keep my mouth shut and leave her alone.

Today, the cold drizzly rainy day doesn't help matters.  Days like this often bring me back almost to square 1 of this journey, but the experience of this journey helps me realize Gray days are always difficult until you realize it takes the gray days to support the bloom and lush of life around us. 

I guess in that way you choose to see it as gray and cold, or as a bit of liquid sunshine with the promise of a beautiful rainbow.  I love rainbows!

I can feel God's presence just on the outside of this emotional scene played out in my heart but I can't tell if he's in front of me guiding me on, behind me pushing me along, or alongside me walking with me.  Aghhhh, please let me know....Am I doing the right thing Lord?

I am not happy that my baby is all grown up but I can't help but smile as I realize that God has plans for this child too, and thankfully, we'll get to see her from time to time and enjoy her joys as she gets to live life to the fullest.  A true blessing!

Hugs,
Sherri

 

No comments:

Post a Comment